Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A day in Amman, Jordan

O400...up and then on our way to the Tel Aviv airport. 4 hours of travel for a 25 min. flight. Met by Mammomobile which took us to the clinic for 2 hours of lecture and then each to our individual clinics to do patients. All our students were covered from head to toe. Of course I had to ask what they had on underneath....just underwear?? Hey, I was curious!! It was about 1000 degrees and I was dying with a light, short sleeve shirt. But obviously these girls are tougher than me. Terry's site was a disaster with processor problems and for those of you who get this....they tried to wet tank process the films and then dry them with a fan. For those of you who don't get this...this is circa 1950. I could not believe Terry did not get this on film!! Back at Wadi Al Seer, me and my gang listened to prayer calls from loud speakers on the hill...and did about 10 patients who were challenging to say the least. At both sites all the girls hung in there and were excited to try what they had learned from us despite working in a challenging environment. I told Terry this reminds me of the conditions in Cuba....really 3rd world. All in all a good day but a challengin one, to say the least. Poor Mike (the radiologist we are with) had to attend meetings all day and then lecture tonite from 5-8...and then attend a dinner. Terry and I ducked out and are cooling our jets at a super nice hotel overlooking the vast, sprawling sea of buildings that seems to go on forever into the desert. It's time for a glass of wine or 2...or 3....Muslems don't drink so there is plenty for us down at the bar. Tomorrow we get to get up at 3am and catch a flight....all 25 min of it...back to Tel Aviv. Terry and I go directly to Jerusalem so will catch up with you all then!

No comments:

Post a Comment